Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Massage: Why are some people afraid?


Lets face it,  sometimes when your body is really relaxed it emits noises and such that can be embarrassing.  Most people are mortified when this happens, and that fear can keep them from taking advantage of the many health benefits of getting a massage.  

Here is my take on the matter;  it really does not happen all that often.  In my 17 years as a practitioner, a client has passed gas only 3 times.  As far as I am concerned if you are so relaxed that something like this happens, then I am doing my job.  Another issue that is the concern of men, is that the massage may feel so good that they may react by getting an erection.  Again, in 17 years this has only happened a handful of times and in all cases the men were sleeping, and I just ignored the situation. 

Of course, this is different than if the man happens to be awake and asks me for something other than what I am legally allowed to do.  In that case, the man is asked to leave and never come back. The point is that things like this happen.  To all of us.  A good therapist will just ignore these uncontrollable occurrences and do her best to continue on so that you are not made to feel uncomfortable. 
(Image by www.irenes.edu)

(image by PacificWellness.ca)
Many people also refrain from getting a massage because they think it is like what you see on TV, which is usually a naked person covered by a small towel, being attended to by a therapist of the opposite sex.  The truth is (at least in my practice) that you are lying on a table, between sheets and a blanket.  You may be naked under the sheets, you may be wearing your underpants (it is your choice) and at no time are you exposed except for the back, arm or leg that I may be working on.  There is relaxing music playing, and the lights are low.  I will be very professional with you and do my best to ensure that you are absolutely comfortable.  Generally, the massage begins with me working on your back, neck and shoulders, then the back of your legs, and feet.  You will be asked to roll over, while I hold the sheets so that you are not exposed.  Then I work on the front of your legs, your arms and finish with a bit more on the neck and shoulders.
I hope that this has helped to dispel some misconceptions for you and that if you have not had a massage before that you will give it a try.  You have everything to gain, and nothing to lose.  Give it a shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment